Tuesday, September 9, 2014

New Organized Robbery

New Organized Robbery / Rebeca Monzo
Posted on September 8, 2014

The great problem created by the government of my planet itself with the
dual currency, now, with the new authorization of being able to buy
things in some TRD (hard currency collection) stores with either
currency, is that it has become more complicated for both the customers
and the employees, who work at each cash register in these establishments.

The other day I was at La Mariposa in Nuevo Vedada to buy some soft
drinks–those that cost 0.50 Cuban convertible pesos (CUC) whose
equivalent in Cuban pesos (CUP) is 12.50. I offered 13.00 CUP in payment
for which they owed me 0.50 CUP in change, but as the cash boxes don't
have this currency but only CUCs, they couldn't give me 0.05 CUC because
this would be the equivalent of 1.00 CUP, and so I would get 0.50 CUP
over. Their not having change in smaller values means that the client
loses the difference. I decided to return the soft drink.

Today my friend Mirta came over and brought me the receipt for a
purchase she'd made of a liter of oil in the same store. She, indignant,
told me exactly what I've told you. Well, I told her, if the famous
character Cantinflas lived in Cuba today he would be totally nondescript.

These new headaches and "wallet-aches" that we customers and even the
employees of these stores have to suffer are, in my modest opinion,
nothing more than a new way of organized robbery.

6 September 2014

Source: New Organized Robbery / Rebeca Monzo | Translating Cuba -
http://translatingcuba.com/new-organized-robbery-rebeca-monzo/

No comments:

Post a Comment