Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cubans Saddled with Refrigerator Payments

Cubans Saddled with Refrigerator Payments
February 8, 2012
By Warhol P.

HAVANA TIMES, Feb 8 — Today in Cuba there exist situations that are
somewhat complicated. At least for me, knowing that I'm shouldering a
debt to the government makes me feel kind of uncomfortable.

A year ago I stopped working because I realized that all the effort was
in vain. Every two weeks I was bringing home a measly 25 Cuban pesos
($1.00 USD). Between work stoppages due to raw material shortages and
payments on my family's loan for a refrigerator, I was barely making
enough for bus fare.

Having no job, I stopped paying on the refrigerator. I had received it
four years ago during the "Energy Revolution" in exchange for another
less efficient but still functioning one. The old ones had to be in
working condition to be exchanged for a new Haier-brand Chinese model.

I never understood why we had to swap units if in the end we had to buy
the appliances. What's more, at no time was the value the old
refrigerators considered. Plus, they didn't even give us discounts on
the price of the new fridges.

Some people said the exchanges weren't mandatory, others argue that they
were. But since what's new is new, almost everybody in Cuba switched
their refrigerators. Today though, almost everybody is in debt (the
payment period is for ten years).

Many people couldn't even pay the first month, while others like me are
waiting in fear for the bank rep to show up demanding an immediate payment.

Some friends told me that I could get a fine based on the number of
months I owe. Others say they could throw me jail. But the truth is that
I don't have any money, and I'm afraid because I know that at any moment
they might knock on my door.

My mother is worried about this situation too, but I told her not worry.
In the worst case scenario I'll tell the bank to send out a truck and
take the fridge away.

In reality, our refrigerator is more like an ornamental piece in our
house, because it's almost always empty. The only things in it are
plastic pop bottles full of water, and from what I can see, that's the
way it's going to be for quite some time.

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=61557

No comments:

Post a Comment