Friday, November 11, 2011

You Look and You Can’t Buy / Rebeca Monzo

You Look and You Can't Buy / Rebeca Monzo
Rebeca Monzo, Translator: BW

These days, I have been working hard to earn a little money to be able
to go shopping, not to buy food, like always, but to buy some garlands
for Christmas, because each year I have to update them, because most
break very easily. I imagine that they are made that way on purpose:
for a single season.

In spite of the persistent drizzle, I wanted to go, but really, I needed
to distract myself a bit. Upon arriving at the department store La
Puntilla, I ran enthusiastically to the place where they sell the
decorations for the holidays at the end of the year. When I approached
the garlands and checked the prices, I could do nothing less than show
my amazement to the sales lady, because in previous years it always that
place where I got the lights for my tree. The same ones, that in
previous years I could buy for a little more than 4 CUC (Cuban
Convertible Pesos, 1 CUC = 1 $US), now cost 11 and up to 14. To my
amazement, the employee gave me an explanation, that according to her
she is used to giving to her clients: The problem is that we buy large
packages, hence the prices, you should try to look for the ones that
come in small packages, those are cheaper. I didn't understand
anything, but also I didn't insist on clarifying the concept, I
preferred to watch an old movie repeat of Cantinflas.

I went by the shelves where the china and housewares are, and that is
where I had to have intensive therapy; they had some china, square,
oriental style, with a simple printed design, and they were marked 61.80
CUC. I thought that was for a dinner service complete with Sushi,
Japanese Chef, and everything! But the store clerk explained that it was
the price of each plate. Immediately I understood why the employees were
yawning, there wasn't anybody buying, all the departments didn't have
any customers, and the few that went by, looked and continued on. And
this was Sunday!

Translated by: BW

November 7 2011

http://translatingcuba.com/?p=12543

No comments:

Post a Comment